Ingredients for Making Vegetable Curry
- Eggplant 2 pcs
- Carrot (medium) 2 pcs
- Potato (medium) 2 pcs
- Cauliflower 200 g
- Green peas 150 g
- Fresh tomatoes (medium) 3 pcs or tomato paste - 30 g
- Green pepper 2 pcs
- Fresh ginger root slice 1.5 cm long
- Garlic 1 clove
- Turmeric 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala (Indian spice mix) 1 teaspoon
- Caraway seeds 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Refined vegetable oil 2 tbsp. spoons
- Greens for decoration
- Main ingredients: Eggplant, Potato, Onion, Carrot, Pepper, Tomato, Garlic, Greens
Inventory:Cutting board, Knife, Deep frying pan or thick-walled pan - 3 l, Shovel, Tablespoon, Tea spoon, Small plate - 3 pcs, Deep plate - 2 pcs, Bowl
Cooking Vegetable Curry:
Step 1: Prepare the onion.
Peel the onion and cut into small cubes of approximately the same size. We shift to a plate and leave to wait in the wings.
Step 2: Prepare the garlic.
Chop the garlic. It will still be stewed with other vegetables, so you can chop finely chopped peeled tooth with a knife and not burden yourself with a wash of garlic or small grater. But if it’s easier for you to rub it, then who’s stopping you? Finely chopped (or grated) garlic is transferred to a plate.
Step 3: Prepare the eggplant.
We clean the eggplants from the skins and cut them into layers, put them in a bowl, sprinkle each layer with salt and leave to stand 15 minutes. Why do this? Salt will draw bitterness out of them and it will not spoil the taste of the dish.
So, after the juice appears on the eggplant, rinse it with cold running water and cut into cubes. Put chopped eggplant in a plate.
There are varieties of eggplant without bitterness. If you have just one and you are sure of this, for example, you have grown vegetables in your summer house, then you can not sprinkle with salt, peel the eggplant and immediately cut into cubes.
Step 4: Prepare the carrots.
Peel the carrots and cut them into cubes, transfer them to a clean plate.
Step 5: Prepare the pepper.
We take green pepper, of course, red as well, but we already have orange carrots and red tomatoes; there is not enough green for color harmony.
Cut the pepper in half, remove the tail and seeds, wash and cut into small pieces, transfer to a plate.
Step 6: Prepare Ginger.
Fresh ginger root is a common ingredient in Indian dishes. It goes well with many products, especially vegetables and spices. We clean a piece of the root and finely cut it, transfer it to a plate.
Step 7: Prepare Cauliflower.
My cauliflower and divide into small inflorescences, large can be cut into several pieces to cook faster. We shift the inflorescences of cabbage in a plate.
Step 8: Prepare the tomatoes.
In the season of fresh vegetables, it is better to cook a vegetable curry with tomatoes. We cut them into cubes and transfer them to a plate.
You can take canned tomatoes or replace them with tomato paste.
Step 9: Cooking Vegetable Curry.
Pour oil into a preheated pan and pour the seeds of caraway seeds, and fry on the smallest fire for no more than a minute, add the remaining spices and fry for a couple of minutes.
Then add the garlic, mix and add the tomatoes in a minute, and mix well again. Stew tomatoes with spices about 5 minutes. If you cook with tomato paste, then simply mix everything and warm with spices for about 2-3 minutes.
Now add all the prepared vegetables: potatoes, carrots, onions, cauliflower, eggplant, pepper, and mix well. It remains to add green peas and ginger. Pour a glass of warm boiled water, salt to taste and simmer for about 20-30 minutes on low heat until tender. Important! Add only warm water, in any case not cold, otherwise the taste of the dish will deteriorate.
To make you a real Indian dish, try to find garam masala, otherwise you will just get stewed vegetables, similar to stews, and certainly not vegetable curry. Garam masala is a ready-made mixture of spices, you can buy it in stores with Ayurveda goods and small Indian shops. The composition of the universal garam masala includes cumin (zira), coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper. All spices, mixed in certain proportions, create a harmonious balance of sweet and spicy and give the vegetables an amazing taste and aroma.
Step 10: Serve the vegetable curry.
The aroma of spices probably already gathered everyone in the kitchen. Put the finished vegetable curry in plates, decorate with greens. Fresh bread with crispy crust will be a great addition.
Enjoy your meal!
- The ingredients of vegetable curry can be safely changed, the main thing is spices and tomatoes (or tomato puree). Good zucchini or asparagus beans.
- So that you get a really authentic Indian dish, take ghee instead of refined butter (you can buy it in a regular store) or ghee butter (ghee made according to the Ayurvedic recipe). Combined with spices, a delicious aroma is obtained.
- Garam masala can be prepared independently. Spices are better to take real, not ground: cumin (zira) - 9 teaspoons, coriander - 9 teaspoons, cinnamon - 2 sticks, black pepper (peas) - 4 teaspoons, cardamom (peeled seeds) - 4 hours. spoons, cloves - 3 teaspoons. Each type of spices needs to be slightly fried over low heat in a dry frying pan (until a pleasant smell appears). Important! Each species is separate. Then grind the fried spices in a mortar, mix and pour into a dry, tightly closed container. Of course, you’ll have to tinker with it, but you’ll get a solid supply of fresh masala gara, whose aroma will be much stronger than the store.